Time to read: Approximately < 1 minute
Many travellers have not seen a dog on board before and may see it as a novelty.
- Give your dog three or four of their normal kibble on take-off and landing to balance their ears if they are looking unsettled
- Avoid salty food which makes them thirsty and increases their need to urinate
- If your dog stands up at any stage, encourage them to lie - be firm but nice (Pandering to their anxiety, only reinforces it)
- Peanut butter is great for balancing your dog’s ears if they like it, as it makes them constantly lick
- If your dog is anxious, you could try distracting them with a game that involves incentives for them!
- For long haul flights, give them ice cubes rather than water to hydrate them (decreases their chance of needing to toilet when compared to water)