Checking your obligations
Time to read: Approximately 2 minutes
Understanding the Travel Rules is a paramount process that needs close attention. Every home country has their own process as well as your destination country. These Check Lists may feel a bit daunting but plenty of us have done this so join our TravelPaws Facebook group to chat further.
- Does your Assistance Dog meet the Eligibility Criteria at home and at your destinations?
- Is your destinations/are your countries approved according to your home country's Animal Quarantine Authority?
- Will your trip be impacted by any current events?
- Ask your veterinarian to check your dog has been microchipped to international standards before he/she is vaccinated against Rabies
- Ensure rabies vaccination and blood test meet specifications and timeframes of home and destination Animal Quarantine Authority
- Is my Rabies vaccination and Rabies tests (including RNAT if required) valid for the trip and at least 1 month longer in case of delay e.g. Covid-19 quarantine?
- What are the processes for bringing and taking dogs out of all countries?
- Have I spoken to each country? Not just relied on web information - because your Travel Rules will be unique to your circumstances
- Have I communicated my entire trip schedule to all Authorities?
- What is the recommended time line for obtaining all documentation and approval?
- Does my destination country have a list of acceptable ports of entry for Assistance Dogs?
- Am I aware of the total additional veterinary costs for this trip? Whilst permits are usually free, other costs add up. Can I afford these:
- Rabies vaccine
- Veterinarian handling fee for RNAT pathology
- RNAT test
- Pre-trip veterinarian visit
- Overseas veterinarian visits
- Post quarantine isolation veterinarian visit
- Have I confirmed that the Animal Quarantine Authorities can meet my flight/cruise at each port of arrival before I book?
- Have I fulfilled all Travel Rules?
- Have I checked and double checked all paperwork (including that provided by my veterinarian), as mistakes will not be tolerated?
- Don't forget to confirm that all Animal Quarantine Authorities can meet your arrival and departure time BEFORE you book
- If possible, try to organise your trip to have no repeat border crossings, as each crossing will cost you time and money (consider transfer processes too)
- Have I spoken to the airlines/cruise lines about their requirements?
- Pack 2 copies of all necessary paperwork (always keep one yourself)
- Keep up to date with any potential show stopping issues such as disease outbreaks
These are the steps of the Preparation Phase: