Time to read: Approximately 4 minutes
The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry & Fisheries (MAFF) is the Animal Quarantine Authority for the entry of dogs to Japan.
For Japan, read both the Assistance Dog and Standard (pet) Dog Travel Rules provided. For any contradictions, clarify with the Animal Quarantine Authority.
It's worth considering the personality of your dog before deciding to take them to Japan — would they cope with long flights, crowds and small spaces?
- Spring and autumn are beautiful times of the year to travel in Japan.
- If you travel in summer, take care on the very hot concrete with your dog's paws and be warned, it is humid for you and your dog.
- If you go in winter take care in slippery conditions
Non-Japanese Assistance Dogs need to obtain the same certification as domestic Assistance Dogs through the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare in Japan - See Temporary ID.
Unfortunately, Japan has a very narrow definition of Assistance Dog: "Service dogs for mental disorders, autism, emotional disorders, epileptic disorders, PTSD, etc. cannot be accepted as assistance dogs in Japan." - See Eligibility Criteria
Contact the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry & Fisheries (MAFF)
- Confirm any specific requirements with all Animal Quarantine Authorities before booking your trip. This includes both entering/leaving any country and all airline/cruise line requirements.
- The Travel Process can take several months so leave plenty of planning time for your trip (except for valid EU Pet Passport travel).
Assistance Dog Eligibility Criteria
There is no standard that all countries follow for recognising Assistance Dogs. Check whether your dog qualifies.
Bringing Assistance Dogs into Japan
The process for bringing a recognised Assistance Dog into Japan.
Japanese Temporary ID
Japan requires your Assistance Dog obtain the same certification as domestic Assistance Dogs.
Travel Rules for Standard (pet) Dogs
These links detail the process for Standard (pet) Dogs, which Assistance Dogs may still need to follow. Visiting these links will open another website.
Bringing all dogs into Japan
The process for bringing all dogs into Japan.
Taking all dogs out of Japan
The process for taking all dogs out of Japan.
Extra information that is specific to the region or country.
Japan Layover Process
Be aware that an extra process is required for layovers in Japan.
Japanese Public Access Laws
Requirements and rights covering Assistance Dogs and their Handlers.
Related TravelPaws Countries
TravelPaws has other listings that may also be of interest: